ShowFowl

game chickens

Forums

Forum Home > condition methods > harold browns pointing method

borderlinefowl
Site Owner

Point Feed Recipe...
1 cup Popcorn... 1 cup Pearled Barley... 1 cup Long Grain Rice... 1 cup Raisins... cinnamon... and 1 small can Pet Milk.
Boil the Popcorn for 10 minutes... then add the Barley, Rice & Raisins and boil for 10 more minutes. Drain in a collender and rince well with cold water... let set & drain for a few minutes then put into a large bowl with a tight sealing lid... add the Pet Milk ( you could use plain Yogert if ya want ) and just enough cinnimon to taste ( roosters like it )... stir well & refridgerate.

First day of Pointing ( 3 days before show day )...
Morning feed is 1/2 your regular keep feed & 1/2 Point feed... mix the two together real well and put 2 heaping tablespoons in each feed cup... after ya get the cups filled put 1/8 teaspoon of Alfalfa Meal right on top.
Evening feed is 1/2 your regular keep feed & 1/2 Point feed... mix the two together real well and put 2 heaping tablespoons in each feed cup... after ya get the cups filled put 1/8 teaspoon of Alfalfa Meal right on top.

Second Day...
Morning feed is 1/4 your regular keep feed & 3/4 Point feed... mix the two together real well and put 2 heaping tablespoons in each feed cup... after ya get the cups filled put 1/8 teaspoon of Alfalfa Meal right on top.
Evening feed is 1/4 your regular keep feed & 3/4 Point feed... mix the two together real well and put 2 heaping tablespoons in each feed cup... after ya get the cups filled put 1/8 teaspoon of Alfalfa Meal right on top.

Third Day...
Morning feed is 1/4 your regular keep feed & 3/4 Point feed... mix the two together real well and put 2 heaping tablespoons in each feed cup... after ya get the cups filled put 1/8 teaspoon of Alfalfa Meal right on top.
Evening feed is 1 full tablespoon of rinced & dried Flint Corn chops... thats it, NOTHING ELSE... if ya can't find the Flint corn, the regular feed corn will work... just make sure it's freshly chopped and all the dust is rinced off & it's dry.

Show Day...
Morning, let the cocks out to dump... don't stir em up... ya don't want to waste the energy you've been working so hard to build up in em. Dump em again before you put em in the carrying boxes & leave for the show in plenty of time to weigh em in without hurrying... drive easy and NO SMOKING in the
vehicle... when you get to the show barn... get your cockhouse clean before you take the birds in... make sure you clean the stalls real good & DO NOT spray anything in em... they need to be clean, dry & fume free with absolutely nothing they could possibly eat in em. After cleaning the cockhouse dump the cocks again & get em weighed & banded, then put em in the stalls... turn the lights out and leave em alone to gather back up.

Calculating Feed Times...
For a rooster to get sharp he needs to be gut empty with high blood sugar levels... to figure what time to feed I go by the weigh in time... if weigh in time is 11:00am you can figure it'll be about an hour before your possible first show so that would be 12:00pm... subtract 14 hours... that would put your last feeding ( the corn chops ) at 10:00pm the previous day. That means all your feedings will be every 12 hours at 10:00 am & pm during the Pointing.

Your roosters during Pointing...
You can't just leave the birds in the stalls... you have to get them out several times a day so they can streatch & dump... I try to get em out every 6 hours. I just toss em on the work bench so they can pop their wings and walk around while I'm cleaning out the stall. If he has poop on his feet wipe them off before you put him back in the cleaned stall.

Water during pointing...
I keep a full cup of water in front of them the first, second and morning of the third day... after the last full feeding take the water away. Roosters will regulate their own moisture levels fed this way... keep the cups full so you can see exactly how much they drink... it shouldn't be much if any. If they drink a lot they have either a gut irritation or a slight fever... don't show those that drink too much.

Holding Roosters...
One of the worst things that can happen is for your birds to go over on ya... by that I mean their blood sugar levels drop and they go flat. I'd always rather have my birds almost on point than to have been there and gone flat. Watch your birds real close... when you think they are really starting to come on to point start feeding em 3 of either the rice or barley out of the pointing feed... thats it, just 3... no more no less and do this every hour on the hour without fail or the birds will go south on ya. The main thing is to keep the gizzard working... not too hard, but working... when the gizzard stops, your birds stop.

February 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CARDINAL

NEED TO CHANGE COLOR OF FONT....CAN'T READ

May 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

borderlinefowl
Site Owner

need to highlight it im not sure how this happened

May 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.